July 25, 2022
Last Updated on May 11, 2023 by Dominique de MerteuilHome » Vintage Beauty »
Pro Makeup Ideas for Hooded Eyes that Actually Work!
In this post, I will show you how to create beautiful makeup for hooded eyes. I know a couple of celebrity makeup artists, and I thought about getting them involved in creating makeup looks specifically for this post. And then it hit me, how many of you have a professional makeup artist friend who can come over in the morning to do your makeup?
Wouldn’t that be wonderful but let’s leave the professionals for a red-carpet event. For everyday makeup, we have to count on ourselves.
Without further ado, here are my favourite makeup ideas for hooded eyes in 2023.
What are Hooded Eyelids?
Hooded eyelids or ‘hooded eyes’ are characterised by excess skin that folds down from the line brow. The amount of extra skin can be small, moderate or in some cases so extreme that it covers the entire eyelid and makes it difficult to fully open the eyes.
How to Get Rid of Hooded Eyelids
The answer is yes! Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure where the doctor removes the excess sagging skin that folds under the brow bone. The surgery takes 45 minutes and is usually performed under local anaesthesia.
Since I’m tired of my tired look and struggle to keep my right eye open, I can say with all certainty that blepharoplasty is for me.
Until I have the funds to cater to my vanity, however, I must rely on the makeup skills I gained over the years from friends who are experts in the beauty industry.
And yes, if everything else fails, you can always lift your eyebrow with a makeup brush.
Absolutely! All you need are; mascara, eyeliner, dark eyeshadow and a little bit of practice.
Just to clarify, I’ve never had cosmetic surgery or as much as fillers, but if it changes in the future, I shall write about it in great detail. For now, I rely 100% on my favourite cosmetics from Dr Irena Eris and Shiseido to keep me young. You can read about my top 10 Shiseido products here.
The ScientiVist line from Dr Irena Eris is the reason why I don’t need to succumb to Botox treatment as yet. And yes, it’s one of the earliest editions of The Picture of Dorian Gray that you see in the photograph. Dorian had a portrait that kept him forever young. I, on the other hand, have my magic creams.
DISCLOSURE: I’m part of an affiliate program, and I get a small commission when you purchase a product through the links in this post. That’s how I keep my website alive, for which I’m very grateful to you. Shopping via my affiliate links comes at no additional cost to you. All opinions expressed here are mine, and I only recommend products I love. All Dr Irena Eris products in this post were provided by the brand.
The Must-Have Makeup for Hooded Eyes
Best makeup ideas for hooded eyes and why you shouldn’t give up on eyeliner!
- Shu Uemura eyelash curler is a must-have for hooded eyes. I’ve been using the iconic eyelash curler for over 16 years and therefore highly recommend it to anyone who wants the perfect and long-lasting curl.
- Eyeshadow primer. All of my professional makeup artist friends use a primer on eyelids before applying eyeshadow or eyeliner.
- Liquid or pencil eyeliner is your best friend when you have hooded eyes. I use two brands. Dr Irena Eris Automatic Eye Pencil and Pat McGrath Perma Precision Liquid Eyeliner.
- A lengthening mascara in any colour you like. I’m a big fan of the Polish brand Dr Irena Eris and I used their mascara for this tutorial. If you are based in the US, I recommend that you buy the FetishEYES mascara from Pat McGrath.
- Eyeshadow in brown, gold or purple. I use; Pat McGrath Labs or Charlotte Tilbury Walk of No Shame Lux Palette, as well as the beautiful Pillow Talk Dreams Palette. It will work wonders on hooded eyelids.
- Brow gel. Enhanced eyebrows can ‘lift’ the entire eye, but I bleach mine and only occasionally use a brow gel to create the high-arched brow look. I leave the choice to you.
- Faux corner eyelashes. I’ve tried so many faux lashes over the years, I can’t even name them all, but I love the Charlotte Tilbury Fashion Cat-Eye Corner Lash as well as all of her other faux eyelashes. And the vintage-inspired faux lashes from Besame.
- P.S. Faux corner eyelashes that are very long towards the outer corners of the eye are perfect for hooded eyes!
Hollywood Movie Stars with Hooded Eyelids
One of my favourite actresses, Katharine Hepburn, had hooded eyelids but as you can see in the picture, the very long eyelashes helped to “lift and open” the eyes.
My fabulous readers can enjoy now 25% off the entire Besame order! Limited to one use per customer.
Dr Irena Eris Perfect Lashes Mascara and Eye Pencil in brown. Best Makeup Ideas for Hooded Eyes
Step By Step Makeup Tutorial for Hooded Eyes
6 10 minutes.
Makeup tips for hooded eyes and why eyeliner is your best friend
- For the feline look, that’s perfect for hooded eyes, you need a liquid or pencil eyeliner of your choice.
I recommend Dr Irena Eris and Pat McGrath. You will also need a flat hair clip or masking tape that you will use as a guide.
Pencil eyeliner will give you a smudged look, whereas liquid eyeliner will help you create a precise line.
Place a flat object from the outer corner of your eye to your brow.
Draw a line with the eyeliner. It doesn’t have to be as long as mine, but in the case of hooded eyes, the longer the line, the better.
Draw a second line, starting at the top, but make sure it doesn’t cross the crease on your eyelid.
- How to do a bat wing eyeliner on hooded eyelids!
Draw a line downwards, starting from the middle of your eyelid and fill the batwings with eyeliner.
This is a dramatic version of the bat wing, but that’s how I like it. If you worry about smudging your eyeliner, use a translucent setting powder. I can’t recommend one, because I have never used it.
- Hooded eyes? Eyeliner is your best friend!
I find that eyeliner used right under the brow bone, or on top of it, gives the illusion of an eye lift.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different colours. I’ve tried brown, purple and green pencil eyeliner, and they all looked great.
- Curl your lashes when you have hooded eyelids!
Long, luscious eyelashes help “open” the eye and deflect from hooded eyelids. Can you see how short and straight are my natural lashes?
- Use lengthening mascara and faux corner eyelashes because long lashes will deflect from your hooded eyes.
The longer your eyelashes, the less visible the excess skin on your eyelids. For this tutorial, I used Dr Irena Eris Perfect Lashes Mascara which makes the additional use of faux lashes unnecessary.
Dark Eyeshadow for Hooded Eyelids
I don’t use foundation or powder, but you will never see me without red lipstick and mascara. I also love dark eyeshadow that covers up my hooded eyes. All I need is to apply brown or gold eyeshadow on the brow bone, and I’m good to go. Don’t let anyone tell you that a sparkly eyeshadow is a no-no for hooded eyes because I find the opposite is true. If you want a more natural look, use light gold eyeshadow.
I like to add eyeshadow under my eyes for the 1920s/1930s look, but you can skip the step if you think it might be too much. One thing to note is that I always use my finger instead of a brush to apply the eyeshadow under my eyes because I find it easier to blend.
For the evening version of the same look, I mixed two colours from the Pat McGrath palette. Dark brown and gold work well together, but you can try brown with dark purple or green. I call it the Joan Crawford meets Marlene Dietrich look.
Red lipstick will go perfectly with any little black dress. Besame has the most beautiful shades of red!
Enjoy 25% off the entire order!
I sincerely hope you enjoyed this post and found my tips useful.
Best makeup for hooded eyesbest makeup ideas for hooded eyesDominique de Merteuilevening makeup for hooded eyeseyeliner for hooded eyeseyeshadows for hooded eyesfeline eyeliner for hooded eyeshow to do makeup on hooded yesmakeup tips for hooded eyesvintage fashion bloggervintage makeup ideas
PamOctober 10, 2022
Love all your tips and tricks, also you were 100% right about the eyeliner!
Dominique de MerteuilOctober 11, 2022
I’m happy to hear you found the article useful!