Best products for red hair!
Shock confession, I’m not truly a natural redhead. Yes, I admit that my gorgeous red hair is in fact, not the result of natural selection but rather the result of personal choice and eight hours undergoing agonising hair colour stripping to near white, followed by at least three shades of red hair-dye, in order to create a naturally looking copper red. The only reason my hair didn’t fall out after having been stripped using so much peroxide, is because I followed the advice of my hairdresser at the time, who instructed me to pour half a litre of extra virgin olive oil on my hair every other day for at least a month and use the GHD Indulgence Treatment mask after washing my hair. I smelled like a salad but thanks to some good advice, my hair remained and stayed as thick as it had been before the metamorphosis.
So, with this admission out of the way, I can now say with the purest of hearts, how utterly jealous I am of girls who have been blessed by mother nature with truly ginger locks, to add to their milky white skin and freckles. I can also now add that, having learnt from first-hand experience, natural redhead or not, maintaining this very demanding colour of your hair requires products specificity designed to care for it. Choosing those ‘best products’ out of so many available on the market is no easy task and so I turned to expert Hair-Stylist to the stars, Dawid Krynicki, for some much appreciated advice.
Joan Crawford once said that, “The most important thing a woman can have-next to her talent, of course… Is her hairdresser.” I couldn’t agree with her more! So I was absolutely thrilled when hairstylist extraordinaire, the magician with scissors, session hair-stylist always in demand and most importantly, the man responsible for keeping my hair in good shape, Dawid Krynicki agreed to collaborate with me on this article. So, without further ado, I give you… Best products for red hair – Dawid Krynicki recommends:
“Your red hair needs three basic professional products to be healthy and always look glamorous.” Dawid Krynicki
- For NATURAL red hair Dawid Krynicki recommends:
1&2) Shampoo and conditioner by Pat & Rub for Red Hair. Made from an extract of the Peruvian plant Krameria Triandria and Lycopene – a natural pigment and strong antioxidant from the tomato, red hair becomes more intensified and luminous.
3) Before blow-drying, use Sebastian Potion 9, to prevent hair damage and breaking. The product will leave hair feeling smooth and healthy and has the properties of a conditioner and styling product in one.
- For DYED red hair Dawid Krynicki recommends:
1) For a long time being the number one choice on his list for preventing colour from fading is Radiant Red Color Keep Anti-Fade Shampoo by John Frieda. With wild strawberry and ginger extracts, it protects the intensity of red shades and allows you to choose between the brighter, vivid shades of red and darker ones.
2) Matrix Biolage ColorLast Mask with Fade-Defying Orchid extract will help maintain the depth of the colour and condition the hair.
3) The perfect styling product protecting dyed hair from fading is Wella Color SP finish with oil extract.
- For red CURLY hair Dawid Krynicki recommends:
The whole set of shampoo, conditioner and mask by Kerastase that goes by the name of Nutritive Oleo. These are –
1) Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo Curl Definition Shampoo, which adds softness, helps detangle curls and nourishes hair, without ruining the shape of the curl.
2) Kerastase Nutritive Oleo Curl Intense Masque, which gives hydration and curl definition.
3) Kerastese Nutritive Oleo Curl Cream, a leave-in cream that defines curls and controls the volume of curly hair.
Also making it into Dawid’s choices for CURLY hair is –
4) Redken Curvaceous Full Swirl – Curly & Wavy Hair Cream, a perfect anti- frizz product which will also add some gloss to the curls.
- For FINE red hair Dawid Krynicki recommends:1) With milk proteins that controls frizzy hair damaged by colouring or bleaching, Kevin Murphy Angel Wash for Fine Coloured Hair, is also sulphate free, paraben free and rich in antioxidants.
2) Kevin Murphy Angel Rinse volumises and at the same time acts as a very light conditioner that moisturises fine and coloured hair without weighting it down.
3) Body Luxe Root Lift by Joico is an alcohol free styling foam with firm hold formula that will give your hair instant volume-lift with the addition of gloss and shine.
- For THICK red hair Dawid Krynicki recommends:1) Sebastian Hydre Shampoo, which is a strong moisturiser perfect for frizzy, dry hair.
2) Kerastase Elixir Ultime Masque is an absolute must have, as it’s enriched with moisturising serum and lipidic compounds, which leaves the hair nourished and soft to the touch.
3) Wella SP Luxe Light Oil Spray, is a product which Dawid absolutely loves and recommends, as it leaves the hair nourished without weighing it down and it smells divine!
- For red hair in the SUMMER Dawid Krynicki recommends:To protect your beautiful red hair from fading in the summer use Solar Sublime shampoo by L’Oreal which gets rid of sand, salt and chlorine build-up.