If someone told me a few years ago, that in their clairvoyant vision of my future they saw me wearing garments with leopard print or any print for that matter, I would most likely come back with a malevolent response worthy of Dorothy Parker and members of the Algonquin Round Table. The reason for such a strong reaction to wearing anything that’s not black was that that the only other colour I would have ever considered was a darker shade of black.
I have a very vague recollection of when exactly and why I opened up to wearing a variety of colours such as red, green, purple and even pink but I do remember the discovery and instant love with leopard print, which was brought to me in a form of Dolce and Gabbana lingerie. A brand new world of stepping out of my comfort zone gave me the courage of experimenting with clothes, not only undergarment, I previously dismissed due to their patterns.
How to wear leopard print:
1. If you are not convinced that leopard print is suitable for you but you would like to give it a go before completely dismissing the pattern from your wardrobe, start with accessories such as shoes and purses. I personally adore the leopard print purse and Henrietta flats from French Sole.
2. A vintage turban with leopard print a-la Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard is also an option.
3. Wear a leopard print top, body or cardigan paired with a simple black pencil skirt for a very sensual 1950s look, or perhaps a more modest A-line skirt would be more to your taste.
4. For the brave ones I advocate a maxi leopard print dress. Perhaps you might feel inspired by the iconic Christian Dior dress from 1947.
5. Most importantly, mix and match and don’t worry about fashion’s alleged rules of “do” and “don’t”. As Audrey Hepburn once said, ” If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun”.
Today’s look consists of:
1940s skirt suit
French Sole Henrietta ballet flats
French Sole Mini Ethel purse
1950s gloves from Cult Of Chiffon
Photography: Gregory Michael King
1940s suitDominique de MerteuilFrench Sole leopard print ballet flatsFrench Sole leopard print purseleopard printvintage blogvintage fashion bloggervintage leopard print